Thoughts Rants Defeats Accomplishments
...Just Me

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Food Stamp Program Needs More Rules! and Other Related Rants

I was in line at Wal-mart purchasing a handful of items, staring at the pile of items on the belt in front of mine when I realized it was all junk food; two 24 packs of Coke, five different flavors of Lays fried potato chips, a bag of assorted mini candy bars, one gallon of whole milk, and about 10 assorted frozen Banquet meals. It was all piled high and being slowly scanned by the cashier when the girl purchasing it all reached into her designer, not a knockoff, handbag to retrieve what I thought would be her debit card, but nope, it was a FOOD STAMP CARD! I became completely pissed off and annoyed that I as a working late 20s girl with my own place, have to scrimp and save to buy myself "extras" after paying all of my bills, and pay taxes just so this girl in front of me, who could not be older than 23, could buy CRAP for herself and her toddler who was running wild at the front of the store unsupervised. Just as I begin to internally calm myself, she pulls out two crisp $20s and demands a carton of cigs, not asks, but barks out the name AND IT'S EXACT LOCATION ON THE SHELF BEHIND THE CASHIER! Obviously, she's an old hand at purchasing this particular item. The government needs to set strict, real rules for purchasing food with those cards. And I don't want to hear the "single mom" excuse. She should have thought about that before she opened her legs. Food stamps should be used to feed real meals to herself and her child, NOT crap, snacks, and soda. Imagine my surprise to come home and find a top story on Yahoo about possible changes to the system. I say, "HELL, YEAH!! WHAT ARE WE WAITING FOR?! PASS THE DAMN LAW!!!" Assistance programs need to be used for those that truly need assistance, not lazy morons abusing the system. Yes, the economy is bad and people are struggling to find jobs, but there are jobs out there still. They just happen to be the jobs "nobody wants". Well, if you're in a unemployment state and really want to get out of it, sometimes you have to accept jobs below "your standards". Better yet, advocate that our government quit giving away jobs to overseas companies, especially on the basis that "Americans won't work for what they want to pay". Make the companies pay decent wages to Americans. The company heads can afford yachts, summer houses in The Hamptons, and Caribbean vacations during Christmas, so they can afford to pay decent wages here at home! Greedy S.O.Bs. Also, don't give bail outs to the same greedy company heads! DUH!

No comments:

Post a Comment